Monday, August 29, 2011

Sunday Funday

Yesterday, Richard and I confirmed our lack of desire to go play on the street and try to make money.  It was blistering hot - here in California, while the rest of the Northern Hemisphere steadily inches into fall, we are going into the hot season.  It scorches like the wickedness of sin . . . and so, we decided to have a Sunday Funday.  It started with a small lunch at one of our favorite diners.  Here is Richard looking at the menu:


After a nice lunch, we went to the movie theater in Los Feliz where we saw The Rise of the Planet of the Apes.  It wasn't my first choice of a movie as I am just dying to see a romantic comedy or a chick-flick, but I love my man and I let him see "Rise of the Planet of the Apes."  I liked it overall and it has made me look at animals differently - for instance, when the neighbors' visiting pack of dogs all started barking at me, I was certain they were uprising and going to overtake the planet for a short while.  Sometimes I have a hard time watching CG animation, but in this film it wasn't too bad.  I also liked the part where the guy bled from the ears - you can't go wrong with bleeding ears.



On our way back from the movie, we window-shopped. The first place we went was Skylight Books, where I bought nothing, but am thinking about buying a guidebook to Los Angeles.

Even though I have lived here two years, there is STILL so much stuff to do in this city and you never do it unless someone is visiting, so I am going to start treating myself like a visitor and do all of these things.  I think it will also make me feel more at home here and stop missing faraway places like Jerome, Arizona where there is much LESS to do than in L.A., but you do because you are visiting.  Does that make sense?

We also passed the half-off clothing store in Los Feliz that I like even though I never buy anything there.  This shirt was in one of the windows and I thought of several of my girlfriends when I saw it:


I also like the Wonder Woman t-shirt next to it.  Wonder Woman was definitely one of my heroes and I have to thank my mom for buying me that picture book with the tape when I was little and for not stuffing Cinderella and Snow White down my throat, cause those girls were weaklings, but Wonder Woman was strong and thanks to the influence of Wonder Woman in my life I am strong too.

Lastly, I convinced Richard to go to Goodwill with me.  After sitting at a temp job all day on Thursday and Friday and looking at Etsy.com for hours on end I was in the mood to treasure hunt.   In the midst of my treasure hunt, I did get a little nostalgic and felt sorry for all of the CD players that have been abandoned to the shelves of Goodwill:


And the computer monitors . . . 

Richard found a book about Hollywood and I found this kickass 1972 kindergarten music book with AWESOME illustrations by a guy named Jerry Pinkney:

  Does anyone else remember this book?  I had bought a different copy once at the St. Vincenet De Paul in Prescott, Arizona, but I cut it up to use the illustrations for little cards and things.  This time I want to try to learn some of the folk songs for a kid's birthday party I have coming up next month. . . 

So that was my Sunday Funday.  Today it is back on task with work and bookings and playing and rehearsing and etc. etc.  but I have resolved that I am not working on Sundays again EVER, unless it is for a real, paid gig.  Besides, I think it makes Jesus happy when I go out to eat, go to movies and treasure hunt on the Day of Rest. . .

1 comment:

  1. i was at the los feliz 3 sunday at 2pm for The Help. it was really good. when were y'all at the movies??

    ReplyDelete