Sunday, August 28, 2011

Stuff I've made . . .

In my blog on Friday, I mentioned how in high school, I used to make stuff.  I made it sound like I don't do that anymore, but actually I still do.  The problem with it is that it can become obsessive and then I spend more time making stuff than I do on stuff that I should be working on - like booking gigs, rehearsing, studying, etc. etc.  Sometimes I give this stuff away as gifts, but mostly I just keep it myself and use it or when I move, I just set it out on the curb for someone.  I tried Etsy last summer, but no one bought anything (I didn't try that hard, I admit) so I gave up on that. 

But I want to share some of the stuff I've made with everyone and get comments.  I'm going to make more - it's part of my high school revitalization, so stay tuned.

1. Magnet:


  This is a magnet I made using one of those glass bead-like gems that you put in flower arrangements.  I had bought a bag of them to make decoupage magnets with, but they didn't really work with printed images because the glass had chips and stuff on it.  So I covered it with fabric instead and glued a magnet on.  I really liked the fabric - that's the foremost reason - and couldn't bare to throw away the scraps I had, so I thought this was putting it to a good use.

2. Horse cards


These are a series of four greeting cards that are made with craft paper I found at Michael's several months ago.  I told myself I wouldn't buy anymore craft crap, but there were like 120 AWESOME papers on sale for $5 a piece and I couldn't resist because they were so hip and modern.  I traced these horse magnets I found (I can't draw this well, honestly) and came up with the template.  They are happy and fun and not so "western-y" like other horse stuff you see.  I still like "Western-y" stuff, just wanted to put my own Devaney spin on it.

These are just two examples of stuff I make to keep myself busy.  Someone once asked me after I sent him a card with a picture of Ralph S. Mouse crashing his motorcycle complete with silver thread (going for a bike theme) where I get the time to do this.  I should tell you that I don't have a television.  So you will never read a blog in which I go on about "Glee" or "The Bachelor" or "American Idol."  I also find that doing silly little crafty projects has helped me to quit smoking and that it somehow stimulates my mind - I do a lot of thinking while I am doing stuff like this.  Eventually, I get to paper and write these ideas down, but it's still creative and I like making things that can be used. . .

1 comment: