Sunday, October 17, 2010

And what will become of it . . .

I thought for a brief moment of starting this post with those classic words I remember from my college newspaper, "I'm not really sure what to write about."  You see, I haven't written anything I felt was good in ages.  Sure, there have been some song starts and a few poems, but something with real depth and challenge to it has been lacking for some time.  So I give the blog another try and wonder, what will become of it . . .

Truthfully, I have been giving a lot of thought lately to my interdependence on the internet and my computer for my existence.  Frankly, it frightens me. I wonder if this is why those terminal words "I'm not really sure what to write about" have entered into my vernacular. 

It is a phrase I detested as a college student when I would pick up our college newspaper, The Lorian, and read in the op-ed section (and still do).  I, too, wrote editorials, but I had a tendency to write about wacky topics, such as how to make your own home-made bird costume for Halloween and the benefits of looking at Playboy magazine as a means of improving women's self-confidence.  (In my youth, I thought the full hips and breasts of the young women featured in the magazine could change the world.  Despite the fact that I went to a Catholic college, I presented enough wry humor in the article for no one to take it seriously).  It seems back then I had no vacancy of topics to expound. But these days things are a little dry and I'm not sure if it's just that Southern California offers too much variety or if, in my technological brave new world, I've stopped looking so closely at the world surrounding my laptop computer screen.  There is so much to describe and yet I haven't the words . . .

SO I am vowing, right here and now, to begin again, this little adventure of script and thought: the Blog.  As often as possible, I will pick a topic and I will write.  I will write and then I will edit.  And then I will publish it for you to read in a way that makes sense, because I realize now that this just flutters about. I am a better writer than this, I promise you.  I have a degree in it, actually, but I need some creative fodder and so, tomorrow morning with zest, I will not awake, make a cup of coffee and begin to investigate the latest crap everyone has posted on Facebook - because let's admit, most of what we post on there is stuff no one else really cares about (probably including this blog) - but rather, create what I hope will be an interesting discourse on the world around me.  May you be entertained and thought-provoked in the days to come!!

1 comment: